Cuento de Luz become a Certified B Corporation™ already in 2015. It obtained twice the recertification and will only need to recertify again in 2024. The prestigious certification is awarded to companies which use the power of business to solve social and environmental problems and meet higher standards of social and environmental performance, transparency and accountability.
What is a B Corp?
- Certified B Corporations™ (B Corps™) are for-profit companies that use the power of business to build a more inclusive and sustainable economy.
- They meet the highest verified standards of social and environmental performance, transparency, and accountability. As of 2020, there are almost 4,000 B Corps in 150 industries and 74 countries around the world.
- There are almost 4,000 B Corps in 150 industries and 74 countries with 1 unifying goal: to redefine success in business.
- B Corps are leaders of a global movement of people using business as a force for good™.
- The Certification process uses credible, comprehensive, transparent, and independent standards of social and environmental performance.
- The B Corp assessment process measures a company’s performance in five categories: governance, workers, customers, community, and the environment.
- Certified B Corporations amend their governance so that, by law, they can make decisions and implement practices that consider not just shareholder value, but the impact on all stakeholders — employees, customers, society, and the environment.
- The B Corp community works toward reduced inequality, lower levels of poverty, a healthier environment, stronger communities, and the creation of high-quality jobs with dignity and purpose.
- B Corp Certification is a highly selective status. Companies must document their positive impact to qualify and undergo verification every three years to maintain their Certification.
- Certified B Corporations range from multinational corporations [Natura] to wholly owned subsidiaries [Seventh Generation] to small businesses [Harvest Market] serving local communities.
- The B Impact Assessment takes into account the size, industry, and location of each business. This makes our assessment of overall impact as accurate as possible.
- It is one of the only certifications that is not for a product or service, but for the whole business behind the product or service.
- B Corporation Certification helps consumers identify companies with a mission, and helps investors select investments that align with their values.